Beauport began in 1907 as a ‘small’ summer cottage–roughly 12 rooms– for Henry Davis Sleeper and his mother, Maria Westcott Sleeper. As interior design commissions came in, Sleeper continued to add to the house over the next 27 years–until he virtually ran out of land.
To the north of Beauport was the Colonial Arms, a massive 300 room luxury hotel in the Greek Revival style, which blocked most of Sleeper’s northern views. Mysteriously, the entire hotel burned to the ground in 1908 and the plot sat vacant until the 1920s when Fredrick and Evelyn Hall built “Stone Acre”, a large Victorian constructed out of field stone and topped with beautiful blue-gray slate.
Sleeper continued to build to the north and constructed one of the last rooms in the house called the North Gallery in 1925. The Hall’s decided that the only way to stop Sleeper from building over their property line was to construct their own outbuilding and a large stone wall. The two buildings and stone wall lay within inches of each other– and in one section actually touch.
It’s a good story to tell but the area is actually extremely difficult to work within.